Thursday, September 30, 2010

Art 21

1. Robert Adams
    I am fascinated by his photography! He spends hours and hours taking a photo of one tree but he makes absolutely beautiful. His respect for nature shows in his photos and I love it.

2. Ida Applebroog
    Her digital manipulations are something I've never seen before. Well I have seen something similar in commercials but never like this. She makes them into real art. Taking photos of blobs and creating people out of them with hair and faces. It is completely fascinating! And I love how she acknowledges that some people are disturbed by some of her photos but she thinks that's good too.

3. Kara Walker
    Her silhouettes are quite...different...for lack of a better term. She is amazingly talented and while her pieces are not quite my style I can definitely understand what she is saying with them. What I love about her style is her use of projectors and having the audience be apart of the art by having their own shadows project onto the walls with her silhouettes.

4. Laurie Simmons
    I wish I could properly convey how much I love her way of thinking. It is so refreshing to see a photographer like her that knows they want to make magic when they snap a photo. She can take pictures of toys and tiny sets and make them come to life and make people believe they are real places and real life size things. So amazing. I really would like to see her entire film "The Music of Regret". It just looks really interesting and I love that she took her photo ideas and turned them into so much more! Plus she got Meryl Streep to be in it and she is the freaking queen of everything!

5. Barry McGee
    What I love about Barry is that he stays true to the idea of graffiti. He knows that for every piece he creates in his studio or on walls indoors he should do 110x that outside to show that he is still true to his roots. I really respect that about him.

6. Sally Mann
    I've never actually watched collodion photography be performed so to watch her process is truly remarkable. She brings back the notion of art is for fun. Sometimes I feel like that is lost in this society so it is refreshing to see a photographer that uses such old methods and uses them for fun.

7. Josiah McElheny
    I've loved glass blowing since I was a kid and his is just breathtaking. But out of all his works I am absolutely in love with his Mirrored Glass Works. The infinite stretch of reflections and the fact that you don't even have to see yourself while looking at it is so brilliant! Just really all around beautiful.

8. Arturo Herrera
    I love making collages. Almost as much as I love taking photographs. So Arturo's art is something I'm very fond of. He uses so many mediums to create an image it is just fantastic and then he turns those pieces into photographs and they become an entirely new piece of art and ugh I am just so in love with how he does it!

No comments:

Post a Comment